Highlights from last year and welcoming in 2015
New Year’s Day has come and gone, and that means it’s time for a year-in-review post here on this blog o’ mine because… well, that’s what you do. So read on for some highlights from this illustration blog from 2014. This past year was tougher for me to post regularly than it used to be now that I have a baby, but I still consider making art and posting too important to just give up. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to check out my illustrations and offered friendly comments (they mean a lot!) as well as anyone who’s here for the first time now. Now without further ado… the top 10 posts of 2014:
- December: Girl with Balloons This little painting, which I can’t fully explain, other than I was in a weird mood when I included the black balloons and gritty Coney Island skyline, is going to be featured in an exhibit in Manhattan this month. More info on that to come once I know the details.
- November: Alexander Wang for H&MThis illo was created for a challenge by Marcus Kan of Draw a Dot blog and H&M Canada to create something inspired by the Alexander Wang for H&M line of sportswear. Mine wound up not being H&M’s favorite, but I’m still proud of it for the romantic mood I think the featured fashionable couple gave it.
- October: Umbrella GirlI strayed a little from my comfort zone to create this cheeky creature. She wound up being featured along with eight of my other illustrations at ArtFront Galleries throughout the month and sold on the first day of being shown.
- October: Cruella de VilWhile I normally get inspiration from actual living people like actresses and fashion bloggers, this time I couldn’t resist depicting the season’s fur color trend on an animated character, Disney diva Cruella de Vil. I created three looks, including the one pictured here.
- September: Butterfly CageAnother piece featured at Artfront and also my favorite of the group. Well worth the time devoted to the butterfly wings and cage detail.
- August: Dabbling in Watercolor PencilsNormally I stick to illustrating in watercolor but I finally started to get chummy with my watercolor pencils with this illustration featuring a lacy Free People bra.
- June: Giving a HandRecreating the human hand via lines and shading is difficult for most artists including me, but this is one of three I illustrated for a post on nail polish trends.
- May: Tribute to L’Wren Scott
My heart broke after the suicide of the brilliant designer L’Wren Scott. Though it’s not exactly a literal portrait, I knew I had to memorialize her somehow.
- February: Badgley Mischka at NYFW Pretty much every time New York Fashion Week comes around, I’ve illustrated one or more runway looks. This time it was the old-Hollywood inspired pieces designed by Badgley Mischka.
- January: My Greatest. Masterpiece. Ever.
Last but not least, my baby daughter Lilith Ivy. Technically I posted this picture in February, but she was born on January 27. I still feel now as I did then that she is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever created.
Below is a more recent pic of Lili, who’ll turn one year old later this month. Crazy how the year just flew by, at least it did for me, mainly because parenthood was something exciting and new.
Well, hope everyone else had a good year and if not, well, don’t despair; it’s over!